Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) is the main organizer and coordinator of the Annual ‘Home is Best Diaspora Summits’ in Uganda since 2003.
Since 2014, the Summits were organized to take place in different regions of Uganda on a rotational basis, in order to give participants an opportunity to experience first-hand the development and the business opportunities in the different regions in Uganda. The meetings have therefore been organized in Gulu, Masaka and Kampala.
UIA also partners with Ugandan Diaspora Network (UDN) to hold the annual Diaspora Business Breakfasts and Evening Gala. Last year, UIA together with UDN hosted the annual Home is Best Diaspora Summit 2017 at the Diaspora Business breakfast meeting held at Kampala Serena Hotel on 29th December 2017. The business breakfast attracted about 120 participants. Ugandans in the diaspora and the Ugandan business community who were interested in exploring joint ventures, had an opportunity to dialogue with various Ministries, Departments and Agencies of Government during panel discussions and dialogues that were broadcast live via NBS TV from 9 am to 12.30 pm. The live broadcast was accessed by Ugandans living in the Diaspora in real time. On the 30th of December 2017, UIA participated in a networking gala dinner which was presided over H.E the Vice President Edward Sekandi. At the gala UIA was commended for its investment facilitation services and calls were made for more assistance in speedy approvals for investments, especially in regulated sectors.
A copy of the Home is Best Diaspora Summit Report 2017 can be downloaded here
This year’s Summit will be held on 19th and 20th December 2018 in Jinja, at the Source of the Nile Hotel. At this year’s Summit, in keeping with the strategic objectives of the UIA Strategic Plan 2016-21, UIA seeks to:
- Improve the investment environment in all regions of Uganda by holding the conferences rotationally in all Uganda’s regions.
- Strengthen domestic SMEs through the provision of a platform for mutually beneficial linkages between SMEs in the priority sectors of agro-processing, Tourism, ICT and Mineral beneficiation, as well as services, and organized Diaspora funds and investment clubs/groups.
This will enhance SMEs and provide a viable ‘soft landing’ for Diaspora remittances.
- Contribute to the industrialisation in the country by attracting all-inclusive investment from networking with Cultural Institutions and urban authorities in Uganda (in this case this Busoga Kingdom) so they can invest in establishing factories/ industries
Traditionally, UIA’s partners have included:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Bank of Uganda;
- United Nations Development Programme;
- Private Sector Associations; and
- Financial Service Providers.
The 2018 Summit is being organized to encourage the direct and active involvement of other stakeholders such as;
- The Busoga Kingdom;
- Members of Parliament;
- Local Governments; and
- Selected Private Sector Companies.
The Summit seeks to mainly reaffirm the Diaspora commitment to participate in the National Development Plans at all levels and evaluate the Diaspora achievements in investments.
Specific objectives include:
- To further strengthen the Uganda Diaspora partnership through investment and trade;
- Get Diaspora’s direct involvement in the re-industrialization of Eastern Uganda in general and Jinja in particular;
- To exploit the expert knowledge the people in the Diaspora have acquired to create jobs in Uganda;
- Strengthen the interaction of Uganda’s Public and Private sector decision-makers at a more localized level with the visiting Diaspora; and
- Work with the Busoga Kingdom and Local Government in Jinja to harness the assets therein for investment.
This year approximately 300 participants are expected to attend the Summit. These will include Uganda’s business community, especially those based in Jinja, Ugandans living in the Diaspora, Business development services providers and investment financiers among others.
The Summit will run for two days, as proposed below:
There will side events like:
- A Networking cocktail enthused with cultural entertainment
- Excursions and Tours around the sights and Sounds of the Jinja area.
- A cultural interaction yet to be proposed by the Busoga Kingdom
|18th Tuesday, December 2018, 2.00 pm: Departure from Kampala with organized transport|
|Day 1: 19th Wednesday, December 2018|
|8:00 – 9:00 am||Registration||UIA|
|9:15 – 9:25 am||Welcome Remarks||Haji Majid Batambuze, Mayor Jinja District and Chairman Urban Authorities Association of Uganda|
|9:25 – 10.10 am||Remarks||Mr. Basil Ajer, Ag Executive Director, UIA|
|10.10 – 10.20 am||Opening Remarks||Dr. Emely Kugonza, Chairman UIA Board of Directors|
|Chief Guest Speech|
|10:35 – 11:15 am|
HEALTH BREAK (Exhibition Area)
Photo opportunity with the Chief Guest, together with the Prime Minister of Busoga.
|Public & Private Sector engagement|
11:15 – 12:00 pm
1. Investing as per the National Development Plan II and navigating the bottlenecks to doing business in Uganda
2. Financial inclusion and the impact Diaspora can have on the development of the economy
3. Establishing joint venture partnerships that work
4. Investment opportunities in Uganda and Jinja specifically
Selected Presenters from:
1. National Planning Authority
2. Bank of Uganda and / or Commercial Bank
3. Enterprise Uganda
4. Uganda Investment Authority
|12:30 pm – 01.00 pm||Dialogue ensuing from the presentations|
|1.00 – 2.00 pm||LUNCH BREAK|
|2.00 – 2.30 pm|
Government Service Delivery Panel
Ease of accessing Government’s services for Business
1. Business registration and licensing
3. Citizenship and Immigration
4. Environmental approvals
5. Certification and standards of products for export and import
6. Free zones
|2:30- 3:30pm||Dialogue ensuing from the panel discussion|
A SME and GoU service delivery exhibition
1. Private Sector (Small and Medium Enterprises) looking to expand their market and Joint Venture with potential Diaspora partners
2. One Stop Centre entities: Uganda Investment Authority, Uganda Registration Services Bureau, Uganda Revenue Authority, Uganda Free Zones Authority, Directorate of Immigration and Citizenship Control, Uganda National Bureau of Standards, Bank of Uganda, as well as, National Social Security Fund.
|6.00 – 9.00 pm||Networking Cocktail and cultural entertainment||Jinja Source of The Nile Hotel gardens|
|Day 2: 20th Thursday December 2018|
|9.00 – 9.40 am||Wrap up Session – Status of Diaspora engagement in Uganda’s economy: Next Steps|
1. Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2. Uganda Investment Authority
3. Private Sector Foundation Uganda
4. Uganda National Chamber of commerce & Industry
|9.40 – 10.10||Dialogue|
|10.10 – 10.30||Closing Remarks||Dr. Joseph Muvawala, Prime Minister of Busoga Kingdom|
|10.30 – 11.00 Coffee / Tea Break|
|11.00 am – 4.30 pm||Visits and Excursions|
|5.00 pm||Optional departure from Jinja with the organized transport|
Uganda Investment Authority invites investment stakeholders to partner in the organization of the event. The event will provide a platform for companies and entities to showcase their services and products to the Diaspora, looking to invest back home.
The publicity of the event, both in Uganda and Diaspora host countries is an added advantage that provides an organizing partner the wider platform to attract strategically targeted audiences and increase their clientele.
The Sponsorship Packages include:
PLATINUM LEVEL (UGX 30,000,000)
- Speaking opportunity and recognition the Summit.
- Fully branded dedicated booth in the main Summit area
- Opportunity to distribute promotional items to attendees.
- Media Profile: prominent acknowledgement in the pre and post event media blitz
- Hyperlink as Summit sponsor to the UIA website.
- List of attendees including name, company, address, telephone and email.
- Logo included in all the Summit promotion materials and signage.
GOLD (UGX 20, 000,000)
- Opportunity to distribute marketing materials at the open tables in the exhibition area. This is available on a first-come, first serve basis.
- Access to List of attendees including name, company, address, telephone and email.
- Logo included in the Summit website, Summit materials and onsite marketing signage inclusive of all Summit promotional materials.
- Access to a dedicated branded booth during the conference.
SILVER (UGX 10, 000,000)
- Dedicated networking seating area where attendees congregate in the main foyer. Sponsor’s marketing materials can be placed in this area.
- Opportunity to distribute marketing materials at the open tables in the exhibition area.
- Summit materials and onsite marketing signage inclusive of the General Session presentation.
- Access to the full attendance list
***Sponsors may host any activity which compliments the official Summit activities and does not conflict with the Summit objectives.