KIBP is being developed to encourage the development of new or existing industrial enterprises which will contribute to the growth of the economy of Uganda.
The following key economic sectors/clusters have been identified as the main targets:
- Agro-based and Food Processing Industries: the objective is to develop businesses that will process and add value to Uganda’s abundant natural resources in areas such as coffee, tea, fish, tropical fruits, dairy products and cotton
- Logistics and Distribution: the park’s location on East Africa’s northern transport corridor offers the potential to develop facilities for logistics operators, bulk breaking and assembly and bonded warehouses
- Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) : plans for the introduction of high speed telecommunications facilities make the park a potentially attractive location for call centres, services in web site developments, software development, manufacturing of ICT based hardware, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO), training services, support services and repair centres
- Heavy Industry: the park masterplan provides for plots with rail sidings and access to an efficient electrical distribution system so that the park can serve the needs of manufacturers in sectors such as building materials, bulk products, process industries, steel fabrication, machine tools and equipment
- Light and Medium Manufacturing: as the park develops there will be opportunities for the SME sector to provide sub-supply products and services to larger businesses at KIBP and it is intended that the park will serve as a location for firms who wish to manufacture consumer goods for the African market.
- In order to ensure the availability of a full range of services and facilities, the Uganda Investment Authority (UIA), as owner and developer of KIBP, intends to enter into public-private partnership and similar arrangements in the following areas:
* Third-party factory space, warehousing and cold storage facilities
* Freight village
* General services including business hotels, shopping malls, food courts, convenience shopping, community and recreation services
* Facilities management services