Internal preparations for the 9th Home Is Best
‘Diaspora Investments: A Bridge to Vision 2040’
This year’s Summit will be a two days event scheduled for Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd December 2016.
The summit builds on earlier regional summits to galvanize Ugandans in the Diaspora to invest back home for their own good, the development of home districts and ultimately Uganda. The 2014 and 2015 Summits took place in Gulu and Masaka respectively, with emphasis that Diaspora Remittances should be directed to indigenous home welfare and development. This year, the summit will do the same, incorporate a tour of the area and provide more time for social and political engagement in addition to business networking and discussions into viable investment opportunities.
The main objective of this summit is to reaffirm the Diaspora commitment to participate in the National Development Plans at all levels and evaluate the Diaspora achievements under the new arrangement.
- To further strengthen the Uganda Diaspora partnership through investment and trade.
- Get Diaspora’s direct involvement in the re-industrialization of Eastern Uganda in general and Jinja in particular.
- To exploit the expert knowledge the people in the Diaspora have acquired to create jobs in Uganda.
- Strengthen the interaction of Uganda’s Public and Private sector decision-makers at a more localized level with the visiting Diaspora
Tentative Summit Program
- Day one will focus on the status of trade and industry in the Eastern Region (particularly) and Uganda (generally), as well as the opportunities for investment and the re-industrialization of the region.
- Day two will focus on the regulatory environment, as well as Diaspora engagement and support.
There will also be side events like exhibitions, cultural exposures (dances, cuisines, and linguistic bees), a Networking cocktail, Dinner dances and Excursions and Tours around the sights and Sounds of the Jinja area.