PRESS RELEASE Clarification about the UIA Electronic Business Portal (eBiz)
In a bid to improve the ease of doing business in Uganda, the Government of Uganda through the Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) established a One Stop Centre for investors. The One Stop Centre is currently located at Twed Plaza on Plot 22B, Lumumba Avenue in Kampala, Uganda. UIA through the One Stop Centre coordinates agencies that provide business-related services to the business community. These Agencies currently include:
- Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) – Business registration services
- Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) – Tax and customs services
- Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) – Trading Licenses and permits to operate business in Kampala
- Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control (DCIC) – Immigration services
- National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) – Environment impact assessment services
- Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) – Standards for products and services
- Ministry of Lands Housing and Urban Development (MLHUD) – Land Title Verification services
- Uganda Free Zones Authority (UFZA) – Free zones services for businesses
- UMEME – Access to industrial electricity for businesses
- National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) – Access to industrial water supply
- Giants 100 Investment Forum – Tourism investment opportunities
- Diamond Trust Bank (DTB) – Banking services
All these services are available under one roof inside a world-class facility governed by strict service level commitments. Furthermore, UIA has developed an electronic business portal to make these services available online. By visiting www.ebiz.go.ug and creating an account, the business community can at the moment apply for the following services:
- Land Title Verification/Search
- Investment license
- Business name reservation
- Environment impact assessment certificate
In the near future, it will be possible to apply for a Tax Identification Number (TIN), Trading License, Work Permits and business registration among other services.
There has been disinformation and misconceptions about the services available on the electronic business portal (eBiz). We would like to inform the public and business community that all services offered on eBiz (currently or in the near future) are provided in partnership with the responsible competent authority/ agency. For example, the Land Title Verification/Search application is done through eBiz but is provided by Ministry of Lands Housing and Urban Development. Uganda Investment Authority as an agency does not issue land titles or require the public to submit original land titles or any other sensitive documents for whatever reason.
All the application requirements to be submitted by users on eBiz are provided for by law and are needed by the respective agencies in order for them to provide necessary services. These include electronic copies of IDs. All information is treated with confidentiality as provided for in the law.
The electronic business portal (eBiz) was designed to bring business-related services closer to the citizens and business community wherever they might be in the world. It provides convenience and reduces the cost of doing business. However should you encounter any challenges while using it, do not hesitate to contact our help desk through the following channels:
Toll Free: (+256) 0800300366 / 0800300336
WhatsApp: +256 750 306 880
Uganda Investment Authority remains committed to providing quality services to the general public and business community.