Top 100 SMEs
The Uganda Top 100 mid-sized companies’ survey survey is an initiative of KPMG and the Nation Media Group represented by Daily Monitor in Uganda; it has been conducted since 2009 in Uganda. Daily Monitor & KPMG have been joined by Uganda Investment Authority (UIA), dfcu bank and ICEA group as the other partners who are also the sponsors of the event.
This year’s theme is: “SMEs Shaping the Future Business Landscape”
The purpose of the Top 100 Survey is to identify Uganda’s fastest growing medium sized companies in order to show case business excellence and highlight some of the country’s most successful entrepreneurship stories.
Participation in the annual competition is very important for any SME as the survey has created and seen successful SMEs grow and graduate to the Top 100 club during the last 10 years
Some of the other milestones for the Top 100 survey are as shown below:
- The survey has also helped the SME’s to gain access to new sources of financing, enhance their business management skills and acquire new partners they need to move to the next level.
- Trained over 1,500 SMEs in the last 9 years in areas like taxation, marketing, stock exchange, financing, insurance among others
- Paved way for SMEs to access better financing solution in partnership with our financial institutions
- Sent SMEs on exchange programs to benchmark with other companies in similar business lines elsewhere
- Networked SMEs with the different governing associations to create leeway for better negotiations as groups and existing opportunities
- Provision of information on existing investment opportunities and pre-requisite information to SMEs by Uganda Investment Authority
- Recognition among the TOP 100 has enabled companies win grants and bids.
- Continuous participation in the TOP 100 survey has seen over 15 SMEs graduate thus growing their annual revenues above 25 billion.
What is a TOP 100 company?
It is one which ranks ahead of its peers in terms of revenue growth, profit growth, returns to shareholders and cash generation/liquidity.
It is one that has succeeded in progressively growing its market position in the industries in which it operates and over time, this growth has translated into both returns for its shareholders and a fairly sound financial position.
Top 100 survey criteria
- Turnover range : 360 million to 25 billion
- Three year audited financial track record
- Not listed on a stock exchange
- Not a bank or an insurance company