The Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) is a semi-autonomous government agency operating in partnership with the private sector and the Government of Uganda to drive national economic growth and development. The Authority was set up by an Act of Parliament (Investment Code 1991, which was later revised to the Edition 2000 Laws of Uganda) 2019 with the aim of promoting and facilitating private sector investment in Uganda.
The ability of the Authority to fulfill its mandate primarily lies in the way in which its Human Resource is managed from the point of entry, stay, exit and post-exit. It is a policy of UIA to attract and retain a highly qualified and competitive workforce to fulfill its mandate and hence the need to fill the vacant positions.
UIA seeks to recruit highly-skilled, experienced, and motivated qualified individuals to fill the following position:
SENIOR INVESTMENT EXECUTIVE LEGAL – LITIGATION & CONTRACTS
Reports to: Deputy Director/Legal & Corporate Affair
Directly Supervises: Investment Executive-Legal
Job Summary: Responsible for providing legal advice and opinion to Management concerning potential and actual legal issues or suits affecting the Authority and representing/defending the Authority in courts of law either singly or in liaison with the Attorney General or external private lawyers. Further responsible for reviewing and drafting Memoranda of Understanding, contracts and agreement documents for provision of supplies and services in line with the relevant laws and regulations and ensuring compliance with contracted obligations
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Representing/defending the Authority in courts of law either singly or in liaison with the Attorney General or external private lawyers.
- Providinglegal advice and opinion to Management concerning potential and actual legal issues or suits affecting the Authority.
- Carrying out regular legal risk analysis for the Authority and advising Management on proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Instituting and litigating suits on behalf of UIA
- Drafting plaints, WSDs and other Court documents
- Review all contracts, agreements, MOUs and the like and ensure compliance to all existing regulations.
- Preparing contracts for service providers and ensuring compliance with contracted obligations.
- Contract management – giving legal support in monitoring implementation of contracts/agreements and ensuring compliance with contracted obligations.
- Representing the Authority in the relevant Fora and any other meeting as requested by Management or Supervisor.
- Executing any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Results Areas
- Timely legal advice and opinions concerning potential and actual legal issues or suits affecting the Authority.
- Adequate Legal Representation of UIA in Courts of law
- Drafted court documents including plaints, WSDs among others
- Regular Legal Risk assessment of UIA activities
- Legal support in contracts management and ensuring compliance with contracted obligations.
- Timely submission of periodic reports and notes to file.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors of Laws from a recognized University
- Post Graduate diploma in Legal Practice is a must
- An enrolled Advocate of the High Court and Courts subordinate thereto.
- Possession of valid Practicing Certificate
- At least 4 years’ working experience in litigation.
- Membership of professional associations
- Deep knowledge of the Uganda Laws, Regulations and court procedures
- Strong communication, networking, advocacy and negotiation skills
- Proven integrity and wise judgment
- Computer literacy
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their applications with updated CVs, certified academic certificates and transcripts no later than Friday, 28th January 2022 by 5:00 pm addressed to;
Uganda Investment Authority,
UIA Kampala Industrial & Business Park (Namanve) Office
P.O Box 7418, Kampala.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.