Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) is a statutory agency which is mandated to promote, attract, facilitate, register, monitor, and evaluate all forms of investments and business activities in Uganda as per the Investment Code Act, 2019. It is on the basis of this mandate that UIA initiates and supports measures that enhance investments in Uganda and advises the Government of appropriate policies conducive for investment promotion and growth in the country.
The Government of Uganda has secured financing from United Kingdom Export Finance and Standard Chartered Bank to a tune of Euros 249 M for the development of the following infrastructure;
- Road network and bridge including traffic management for the entire park.
- Water distribution network including water reservoirs for the entire park.
- Sewerage network including sewer underground pipe network for the entire park.
- Waste treatment plant including public toilets, a solid treatment plant for the park.
- MN Power Services that shall include the supply and laying of 33KV single core cable among others for the entire park.
- Fibre optic services and CCTV services for the entire park.
- Solar street lighting for the entire park.
- The SME workspaces.
- Other amenities such as water hydrants etc.
Uganda Investment Authority intends to recruit the most experienced and qualified technical staff to run the implementation of the project. The vacant positions are as detailed below:
1. PROJECT ENGINEER
The Project Engineer shall report to the Project Manager.
Supervises the Project Architect, Project Site Engineers and the Project Quantity Surveyor.
Liaises with the Owner’s Engineer, EPC Contractor, Project Environment & Social Specialist, the Project Administration team and other relevant project stakeholders.
The Project Engineer shall be responsible and support the Project Manager on engineering and technical matters on the project.
- Project technical studies and designs;
- Project construction and installation activities;
- Provides technical support to the Project Technical Team;
- Oversees the day to day project engineering and technical activities on behalf of UIA;
- Reviews and inspects project deliverables.
The project Engineer shall be expected to carry out the following duties and responsibilities;
- Advise the Project Manager on engineering and technical matters on the project;
- Ensure that UIA’s interests are protected in the engineering and technical studies, designs and construction phases of all project infrastructure;
- In consultation with the Project Manager, the Project Engineer shall review and approve all technical and engineering requirements from the Owner’s Engineer.
- Monitor and ensure that the project activities and deliverables meet the approved quality and standards.
- Lead and supervise the Project Technical Team;
- Monitor and ensure contract compliance of the Owner’s Engineer and the EPC Contractor;
- Review and advice on all proposed project changes or variations and ensure that all approved project changes or variations are implemented;
- Prepare periodic monitoring and performance reports as per the project reporting requirements;
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
The Project Engineer’s measurable outputs shall include;
- Project deliverables such as approved project studies and designs and construction;
- Project engineering and technical documentation;
- Project issues log, changes or variations log;
- Requisite project permits and approvals such as construction and building approvals and permits among others;
- Project periodic performance and monitoring reports.
The Project Engineer shall possess a minimum of the following;
- A Master’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management Planning.
- An honors Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Registration with the Engineers Registration Board is a MUST.
- A post graduate diploma in project management is required.
The Project Engineer should have the following;
- Must have at least 8+ years’ work experience in supervision and management of engineering projects post registration with Engineers Registration Board.
- Proof of experience in working in complex environments and large infrastructure and or civil works particularly in the field of construction supervision and management.
- Proof of experience in working on a large infrastructure projects.
- Proof of experience in implementation of Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) projects.
- Proof of experience in contract management, project management research, strategic theme development, procurement, and programming-related work.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision with strong organizational skills.
- Technical report writing and oral communication skills.
- Must be results-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with investors, government and development partners.
- Team leadership and project management skills.
- Attention to detail skills.
- Risk Management skills.
- Negotiation and Conflict resolution skills.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Competencies with MS (Office, Project and Visio) and other professional software such as Tilos, Micro station, AutoCAD, and Adobe Acrobat Pro are a MUST.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their applications with Curriculum Vitae, certified academic certificates and transcripts not later thanFriday, 28th January 2022 by 5:00 pm addressed to;
The Director General,
Uganda Investment Authority,
UIA Kampala Industrial & Business Park (Namanve) Office
P.O Box 7418, Kampala.
Application Deadline: Friday, 28th January 2022 by 5:00 pm.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted
NOTE: Those who had applied for these positions in July 2020 are encouraged to Re-apply.